Jun 18, 2009

Still taking strides towards equality

Although the administration's brief defending the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act is not what I had hoped for, I understand that the Department of Justice has to do it's constitutional duty in this case. However, I do commend the administration for taking the initiative to discuss the expansion of partner benefits for government employees, especially amidst all of the national problems--which proves that this is an important issue to the administration. In due time, it will come, we're working together to figure out how to ensure rights for gay people in America, while balancing the global fiscal crisis and massive health care reform.

As Representative Barney Frank stated, "Now that I have read the brief, I believe that the administration made a conscientious and largely successful effort to avoid inappropriate rhetoric. There are some cases where I wish they had been more explicit in disavowing their view that certain arguments were correct, and to make it clear that they were talking not about their own views of these issues, but rather what was appropriate in a constitutional case with a rational basis standard -- which is the one that now prevails in the federal courts, although I think it should be upgraded."

I completely agree with Representative Frank. I believe that, while this issue is one that demands change, the administration is obligated to uphold and defend the law when it has been enacted by appropriate processes and I know that the administration will enact laws protecting LGBT people from hate crimes and discrimination, as they have promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment